Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Cutaneous Horns

"cutaneous horns"

"cutaneous horns"


Indonesian doctors tried to help him when he was younger with a series of painful operations, but to no avail. "When I was in hospital I had some of my growths burnt off and I was injected several times. I was also given some pills. "But everything kept growing back after the operations, like just three weeks later. And they would grow back faster," he says.
Now medical experts in America say they may be able to help Dede by producing a cure specifically for him. Dr Anthony Gaspari, chairman of the Department of Dermatology at the University of Maryland School of Medicine in the US, is fascinated by Dede's condition. "I was absolutely stunned," said Dr Gaspari. "I'd never seen anything like this before. "I've become really interested in his case because it's so absolutely unusual. The growths he has are just something we don't encounter in clinical medicine."
Dr Gaspari took samples of Dede's growths and has now been able to diagnose his condition. He believes Dede has an extremely rare genetic disorder which means his immune system does not function properly. This is why his body was never able to recover from the initial outbreak of the growths, which are actually warts, caused by the human papilloma virus (HPV). Dr Gaspari is now working on developing a unique cure for him.
But Dede says: "I worry that this disease will be passed to my children." And despite previous disappointments, Dede is hopeful that this time doctors can help him. "I'd love to be cured," he says poignantly.

No comments: